Friday, June 15, 2007

So it's been a little more than a week. Hm.
"Something's getting in the way, something's just about to break. I will try to find my place...so tell me how it should be."

Isn't it amazing how much music overtakes our lives? Ipods are as common now as cell phones. Did you know that they make children's mp3 players with characters such as Cinderella and Dora upon them? I personally, love music. But...has music been taken too far?
I like being able to recognize a song by the first few beats or the first hint of the melody. I am a music lover. I have always been. I think I came out of the womb with headphones on.
Some music today though, sucks. Seriously, SUCKS. Rap is pretty horrible most of the time and so is rock. I pretty much don't even listen to the radio anymore because all they play is crap.
Music should define who we are as a people and who we are individually. Next time you're filling out what your favorite music is, actually think about it. What were the last 10 songs you heard? Do you have specific songs that you play on repeat? Don't just think about the street credibility your music choices may or may not bring you, think about what makes you, you. Who cares if you listen to something no one else does, that's what makes you who you are. Music shapes and molds our lives. We emulate ourselves after our favorite musicians. Don't believe me? Look around. Country fans wear cowboy hats, heavy metal fans wear black, punk fans wear tight jeans. The list goes on.
So think about the music you listen to for once and how it defines you. Music should say something to you. Sure, a beat is good, but it has to speak to you. Even without lyrics, music can have an incredible voice. Just listen once in a while.



1 comment:

Ryan Q said...

Definitely some insightful stuff. I may have to go remove/add some things to my Facebook favorite music. I like having music (and other media, let's be fair) coming close to ubiquity, but I agree that a lot of it is a pile of garbage.